Knedle sa šljivama – Plum dumplings
The recipe for Croatian plum dumplings, in Croatian Knedle sa šljivama, is a typical recipe of Croatian cuisine. Like many other Croatian recipes it was not invented in Croatia, but it was imported from a neighboring country, so we find Knedle as well in other countries of Central and Eastern Europe.
Knedle with plums is actually a ball-shaped gnocchi dough where we put a plum in the middle, cook it and then roll it in sweet toasted breadcrumbs. It is delicious!
We don’t eat a lot of desserts on the Dalmatian coast where I live, so when you find a dessert as good as this one you can’t wait to eat it. The only bad part is that you have to wait for the plum season that lasts from August to October.
To make this recipe we use very ripe plums such as damson plums.
1 kg of potatoes
300 g of wheat flour
100 g butter
6 teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
150 ml of oil
250 g breadcrumbs
3 vanilla sugar
1. Wash the potatoes, cook them with the skin in a large pot of salted water for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked (check with a toothpick).
Drain the potatoes, peel them and press them with a potato masher, then add the butter immediately to the still hot potatoes.
2. Crush well so that the puree is smooth without lumps. Let it cool down to room temperature.
3. Add an egg and flour to the cooled mash and knead with your hands until you get a smooth dough.
Do not add the flour all at once, but gradually because the amount to use also depends on the amount of potato after cooking, the variety of potato and also the type of flour you use. So it is better to put less and add little by little. If the dough is sticky, add more flour until you get a nice soft dough.
This is the same dough as for gnocchi, if you put too much flour the dough will be hard after cooking, so be careful.
4. Divide the dough into 20 pieces.
5. Mix the sugar with the ground cinnamon.
6. Wash the plums, remove the pit and put half a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar in each plum.
7. Take a piece of dough that you flatten in your hands, place the plum in the middle.
8. Fold the ends of the dough over the plum and carefully shape a ball with your hands.
Place the balls on a floured surface.
9. Heat the oil in a pan, add the bread crumbs and fry them until golden brown, stirring constantly (do this in two batches if it takes too much space in your pan).
Once golden add the vanilla sugar and stir well. Set aside.
10. Boil some water in a large saucepan, add a little salt.
Place the knedle in boiling water, when they rise to the surface cook for another 5 minutes.
11. Take out the knedle with a skimmer and put them in the pan with the crumbs, roll well so that they are completely covered with crumbs.
In general, we serve knedle with sugar and sour cream.
Bon appetit !
ps: in step number 8 you can also freeze them, and cook them (still frozen) as explained in step number 10.