In Zagreb and its region, meat takes an important part of the gastronomy.
Zagreb has a speciality you must try once you get there, it’s call Zagreb schnitzel. It’s a veal escalope stuffed with ham and cheese and fried.
Some will say that was not invented in Zagreb, but wherever it comes from, it has been for sure accepted by everyone.
Recipe for 4 persons
4 veal escalopes
4 thin slices of cooked ham
8 slices of Swiss cheese
1. All the ingredients are here, let’s start!
2. Place each escalope between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet.
Sprinkle each escalope on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Place a slice of ham on one half of the escalope, and two slices of cheese on the top.
4. Roll up each escalope and secure with toothpicks.
5. Beat the eggs, put the flour and breadcrumbs into separate bowls.
Roll each escalope first into the flour, then into the eggs and finally into the breadcrumbs.
6. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Deep fry for a few minutes until it gets golden brown. The meat is very thin so it should need just a few minutes to be ready.
Bon appétit ! Dobar tek !